Dave Scott – a short history in journalism, trucks and trucking
Dave Scott is a second generation South African who has had a motor and road transport industry career that covers more than 48 years, starting in 1966 as a trainee truck salesman for Cargo Motors Mercedes-Benz Truck Division, in Johannesburg.
· His focus has been on trucks and transport, developing a unique overall view of the road transport industry in South Africa in contact with the truck manufacturers, retail dealers, truck body suppliers, component industries, fleet-owners and drivers. He has conducted investigative work and fleet advice for a variety of South African trucking operations – a number of truck fleet audits has provided him with considerable experience in fleet risk management.
· The development of people through training is one of the major activities he has conducted within the motor industry, again with emphasis on trucks, truck drivers and road transport. This continuous involvement in training keeps him in shape as a public speaker.
· The quality of drivers on South African roads has been one of his major focus areas. This has resulted in published articles on driver health covering specialist subjects on diabetes, hypertension and highway hypnosis, as well as presentations at NOSA annual conventions.
· As a member of the SA Institute of Tribology (SAIT), he takes a keen interest in the application of lubricants to road transport maintenance to reduce the cost of ownership. Access to the SAIT has resulted in many published articles on fuel and lubrication as it applies to SA road transport operations.
· This has also involved him in consulting on improved transport efficiencies within the truck fleets of South Africa, by providing information on training and transport technology. He regularly visits major trucking conventions and exhibitions in the USA, Europe and Japan to stay abreast on the latest developments in trucking technologies and provide specialist reports.
· Since 1995 Dave Scott has been a member of the SA Guild of Motoring Journalists, and is a monthly contributor to the press on transport and trucking related subjects. In 2002 and 2003 Dave Scott was the SA Guild of Motoring Journalists winner of the category ‘Business Motoring’. In 2015 he was awarded the HINO SAGMJ Commercial Vehicle Journalist Of The Year for his story on diabetes in truck drivers.
· Dave Scott has been a regular contributor since 2003 to Auto Engineering & Spares and now to AutoForum. This means more than 12 years covering trucks and trucking for this publication.
· Dave is the SAGMJ Truck Journalist of the year for 2015, specifically for his contributions in AutoForum.
Apr, 29 2016, 11:04
Apr, 25 2016, 11:55
Jan, 29 2016, 10:16
Aug, 26 2015, 16:04
Jul, 15 2015, 13:07
May, 05 2015, 09:05
Apr, 13 2015, 06:28
Mar, 30 2015, 10:46
Jan, 27 2015, 10:07
Oct, 20 2014, 11:30
Jul, 28 2014, 09:54
Jun, 25 2014, 12:54
Jun, 04 2014, 14:24
Apr 25, 2017
Apr 23, 2017
Apr 20, 2017
Apr 13, 2017
Apr 06, 2017
Apr 05, 2017